On 03/30/2012 09:59 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM, R P Herrold<herr...@owlriver.com>  wrote:
ehh?  looks like a conventional cpio / compression mismatch problem so far
... rpm emits this error when, for example, it is presented with xz
compression (which compression was added to SOME rpms during 5's lifespan)

The problem described in the URL really only occurs when *building*
packages, not when *installing* packages.  It isn't even the same
error.  Anyway, if a package coming from RHN was incorrectly
compressed for that platform, then there are even more serious
problems afoot.  I don't believe this is the case.

This kind of 'cpio' error happens exactly as described if you 'chattr
+i /usr/sbin/sshd' and run 'yum reinstall openssh-server'.  It can
also happen if /usr/sbin/sshd is a directory.  I'd be very careful and
check out that file, and I agree the system could be compromised.

The chattr +i is when I usually see that error. The other time I've seen that error happen is when there's a bad sector on the disk.

You can check for a bad sector by trying to do "cp /usr/sbin/sshd /var/tmp/foo" If there's a bad sector, you'll get an I/O error.

Hugh

--
System Administrator
University of Iowa DIVMS Support Group