At 11:00 PM 23/12/2004, Scott wrote:

O As to what I think Israel should do, (I know you didn't ask me, but that
is the "danger" of posting to a public list), I think Israel should
_completely_ pull out of the West Bank and Gaza, ..... if the Palestinians
got everything they "want" including a viable state, but excluding
Israel's total destruction (and believe me, that is what they _truly_
want), they would NOT cease their intolerable attacks (esp. against civilians).

FIGHT THE RIGHT!

On the basis of the last 60 years of history - ditto except I would substitute "Hamas and those who think like Hamas"' for "Palestinians"! With one additional caveat - if the Hamas (and like thinkers) and those Arab nations supporting (or using) them recognize Israel's right to exist that would be a good quid pro quo and allow real prospects of settlement. Well, Israel has started - or at least promised to start - let us see.

Garth Cartledge

" Despotism sits nowhere so secure as under the effigy and ensigns of
Freedom", From Imaginary Conversations of Greeks and Romans (1853) by
Walter Savage Landor 1775-1864

    -----
   / o o \
http://pnews.org/ (links)