There are a few things you probably want to look at in regard to how your using
ELB.

If your using the straight ELB offering (e.g. not part of a virtual private
cloud), that's probably your problem.  This form of ELB was really only
designed for routing traffic from outside the AWS network to servers within
EC2.  Using it route traffic with the AWS tends to be very slow/throttled as
your traffic has to go out to the public network and then back into the private
AWS network.

Recently (i.e. the last two or three weeks) Amazon announced a new version of
ELB that you can use with virtual private cloud to route traffic between VPC
networks.  I haven't tried it yet but in theory this should avoid many of the
problems mentioned above.

One last thing to be aware of with ELB is it can often take a while for an ELB
instance to deal with spikes in capacity (e.g. load tests).  Under the covers
ELB is basically as series of managed EC2 instances running a load balancer
program.  When your capacity exceeds what one instance can handle, they'll spin
up more instances but that takes time to happen.  Accordingly when doing load
testing with ELB, you often need to "prime" the ELB by running test traffic for
10-15 minutes and then start recording your benchmark data.

With the possible exception of the new VPC ELB offering, I would strongly
recommend against using ELB to load balance traffic to your riak cluster.

--
Sean O'Connor
CTO/Co-Founder