Hi Toby,

Invalid hint files won't cause Riak to fail requests - there must have
been something else happening. Hint files are used by Riak to speed
start time when loading a large key set.

You mentioned a "load-balancer pool" - are you using something like
HAProxy to load-balance requests to your Riak CS cluster?

The "error: disconnected" message is a good clue. If you can provide
log files that may point to the cause.

--
Luke Bakken
CSE