Hello everybody,

I have a question concerning the errors calculated in a rietveld
refinement. As far as I understand, the error of a parameter is calculated
as

sigma(p_i) = sqrt(c_ii) * sqrt(chi^2/N-P)     (*)

where c_ii is the i-th diagonal element of the inverse of the
curvature matrix, chi^2 = sum_i w_i*(yobs_i - ycalc_i), N number of
observations, P number of parameters.

But I thought the statistical error is just sqrt(c_ii)! The second factor
is alway << 1, because N is a large number, and so the calculated errors
are much to small! Even more, I can minimize them by increasing the number
of steps, although, after a certain point, I gain no more information.

Any hints?

Thanks,
        Michael

          |  Dipl.-Min. Michael Chall                       |
          |  Kristallographie                               |
          |  Institut fuer Geowissenschaften                |
          |  Universitaet Kiel                              |
          |  Olshausenstr 40      fon :   +49 431 880 2692  |
          |                       fax :               4457  |
          |  D 24098 Kiel         mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |