"What happens in the future?" When Bob Von Dreele and Brian Toby, to name two, join Al Larson in retirement, (and Al finally stops working) what happens then?

My structure prediction software has not yet any subroutine able to give an answer. But I believe a lot in the Open Access current. In labs with no funds for buying expensive software, people may decide to produce them. And the old academic vision of sharing knowledge is not dead. Some PhD and Post-Doc are still undertaken on some software development projects, with open source purposes (see FOX to cite one).

Armel
Crystallographer - not retired before probably 2010-2015, or
maybe 2020 if the french government continues the same
policy ;-).