>I would really like to hear the other party, which is why I tried to list a
>few possibilities under which the ccdc position would be understandable.

OK, I have contacted the CCDC for a statement, and they tell me that this is an issue
that is being discussed between the interested parties, that their licensing rules are
quite specific on "for-profit" use, and that they have already proposed a modest
solution in keeping with their own not-for-profit status.

They are informed of the statements made by individuals on this mailing list, but feel
that on-going commercial negotiations are not a subject for public debate. Senior CCDC
management, including the people in charge of the negotiations, are absent at
meetings, and no further statement will be made until after the ACA meeting (26th
July).

I propose then that we stop this discussion on an issue that concerns on-going
negotiations between commercial companies and get back to science. I have tried to
joke about these things, but I am personally annoyed at this continual sniping at
organisations that on a non-profit basis are providing an essential service to the
international crystallographic community.

Alan.

Dr Alan W. Hewat, Diffraction Group Leader.
Institut Laue-Langevin, BP 156X Grenoble FRANCE 38042
fax (33)4.76.20.76.48 tel (33)4.76.20.72.13 (or .26 Mme Guillermet)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://www.ill.fr/dif/AlanHewat.htm