Hi, once again,
Fine, I'm sure you did. And what is the most plausible, lognormal or gamma?
>From the tests specific for least square (pattern fitting) they are equally
plausible. And take a combination of the type  w*Log+(1-w)*Gam, that will be
equally plausible.
On the other hand, why should believe that the Baesian deconvolution (or any
other sophisticated deconvolution method that can imagine) give the answer
much precisely? Both, the least square and deconvolution are ill-posed
problems, but the least square is less ill-posed than the deconvolution. At
least that say the  manuals for statistical mathematics.

Best wishes,
Nicolae Popa

> Hi,
> I pointed out that each model needs to be tested and their plausibility
determined.  This can be achieved by employing Bayesian analysis, which
takes into account the diffraction data and underlying physics.

> I have carried out exactly same analysis for the round robin CeO2 sample
for both size distributions using lognormal and gamma distribution
functions, and similarly for dislocations: screw, edge and mixed. The
plausibility of each model was quantified using Bayesian analysis, where the
probability of each model was determined, from which the model with the
greatest probability was selected. This approach takes into account the
assumptions of each model, parameters, uncertainties,  instrumental and
noise effects etc. See Sivia (1996)Data Analysis: A Bayesian Tutorial
(Oxford Science Publications).

> Best wishes,
> Nick
>
>                  Dr Nicholas Armstrong

> > Hi,
> > But the diffraction alone cannot  determine  uniquely the physical
> > model. An
> > example at hand: the CeO2 pattern from round-robin can be equally well
> > described by two different size distributions, lognormal and gamma
> > and by
> > any linear combinations of these two distributions. Is the situation
> > different with the strain profile caused by different types of
> > dislocations,possible mixed?
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Nicolae Popa
> >

> > > Best approach is to develop physical models for the line profile
> > broadening and test them for their plausibility i.e. model selection.
> > >
> > > Good luck.
> > >
> > > Best Regards, Nick
> > >

> > >                  Dr Nicholas Armstrong
> >

> --
> UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
> DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may
contain
> confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not
> read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
If