Hi
Sorry for the delay. The Bayesian results showed that the lognormal was more
probable. Yes, the problem is ill-condition which why you need to use the
Bayesian/Maximum entropy method. This method takes into account the
ill-conditioning of the problem. The idea being it determines the most probable
solutions from the set of solutions.  This solution can be shown to be the most
consistent solution or the solution with the least assumptions given the
experimental data, noise, instrument effects etc (see Skilling & Bryan 1983;
Skilling 1990; Sivia 1996). This is the role of entropy function. There are
many mathemaitcal proofs for this (see Jaynes' recent book). The Bayesian
analysis maps out the solution/model spaces.

Also the least squares solution is simple a special case of a class of
deconvolution problems. This s well established result. It is not the least
ill-posed, since it assumes the prior distributions to be uniform (in a
Bayesian case. See Sivia and reference therein). In fact it's likely to be the
worst solution since it assumes a most ignorant state knowledge (ie. uniform
proir) and doesn't always take into consideration the surrounding information.
Moreover, it doesn't account for the underlying physics/mathematics, that the
probability distributions/line profiles are positive & additive distributions
(Skilling 1990; Sivia 1996).

Best wishes, Nick

                 Dr Nicholas Armstrong
                NIST-UTS Research Fellow
(in Australia) UTS, Department of Applied Physics
University of Technology,Sydney    * Location: Bld 1,Level 12,Rm1217
P.O Box 123                        * Ph:        (+61-2) 9514-2203
Broadway NSW 2007                  * Fax:       (+61-2) 9514-2219
Australia                          * E-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(in USA) NIST, Ceramics Division
National Institute of Standards and Technology * Fax: (+1-301) 975-5334
100 Bureau Dr. stop 8520                       *
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8523    USA             *