Leonid (and others)

just my 2 cents to the whole story (as this is a long standing point of
discussion: Davor correct me if I'm wrong, but this was also one of the
key points in the latest size-strain meeting in Prague, right?)

> Your recipe for estimating size distribution from the parameters of a
> Voight-fitted profile is clear and straightforward, but I wonder have
> you, or someone else, tested it on, say, simulated data for the model
> of spherical crystallites having lognormal size distribution with
> various dispersions?

done several times... if you start from a pattern synthesised from a
lognormal and you analyse it using a post-mortem LPA method (i.e. extract
a width and a shape parameter and play with them to get some
microstructural information), you obtain a result which (in most cases)
does not allow you to reconstruct the original data (the Fourier
transform of a Voigt and that of the function describing a lognormal
distribution of spherical domains are different).
I would invite all people using ANY "traditional" line profile analysis
method to do always this check. Davor already pointed out cases where it
works and cases where it does not: according to my experience those
belonging to the first category are just a few.

With a whole pattern approach and working directly with the profile
arising from a distribution of domains, in most cases you're able to
recostruct the original distribution without making any assumption on its
functional shape (after all, most of the information to do so is
contained in the whole pattern, even if it is well hidden).

Concerning the Beyesian/maxent method, well, it is always a great idea,
but unfortunately right now it is not mature enough to cope with a simple
problem of combined instrumental, size AND strain broadening (unless
something has been done in the last year). So ok it gives you the best
result compatible with your hypotheses, but beware that "absence of any
other source of broadening" should be listed among them.. and I'm not sure
this is always the case!

To put some water on the fire (otherwise it will burn all of us), I think
the level of detail one needs on the microstructure, conditions the
methods one's going to use to extract a result. No need to use highly
sophisticated methods to roughly estimate a domain size (with an error up
to +/- 50%) or to establish a trend within a homogeneous set of data, or
also to obtain a better fit in the Rietveld method.

Conversely, if a very high level of detail is sought, then I'd forget
about a "traditional Rietveld refinement" and start approaching the
problem from the microstructure point of view (after all, if one is
interested in winning a F1 GP, he'd certainly not go for a Ferrari