in general, I made the observation that intensity may drop more than
expected from theory due to alignment problems. Alignment becomes
increasingly critical for smaller divergences as we normally have to sintonize
2 slits, one in the incident and one in the diffracted beam. With low
divergences, a small twist of the soller axis around theta or the X-ray beam
may cut an important portion of intensity.

BTW, in our old Philips with 2 Soller 0.04 rad slits and sec beam graphite
monochromator, using 1º div slits and a 0.2 mm receiving slit gives
12550 cps and FWHM=0.119º (including alpha2 which is visible as a
shoulder) for the 2th=26.6º quartz peak and ~15 cps for the background
(zero bk Si sample holder) below this peak.

miguel

--
Miguel Gregorkiewitz
Dip Scienze della Terra, Università