Dear Matthew,
in my knowledge, for calcite the {104} in the usual cell choice for hexagonal axes is equivalent to {10-11} in rhombohedral axes setting. Morphologically, this shape is called by mineralogists the "main rhombohedra" and the six faces belonging to {104} are indeed the directions of the perfect cleavage. Thus, the shape of calcite particles crushed/milled from bigger crystals are nearly perfect rhombohedra (btw a typical exercise used in undergraduate mineralogy classes for demonstrating "cleavage"). In common powder sample preparation, you can expect preferred orientation of these planes parallel to the sample surface. For Bragg-Brentano geometry (rotational symmetric, observation direction perpendicular to the sample surface), you need any function fulfilling the symmetry of the Laue class for the description of the relative polar-axis density of the hkl oriented parallel to the sample surface. This is realized by symmetrized spherical harmonics as introduced by Järvinen et al. (1970), Popa (1992), Järvinen (1993, 1998). This and similar approaches are included in many Rietveld programs, e.g. GSAS, TOPAS, BGMN, MAUD, DDM (?)...

Back to calcite: You can see an example of a practically working correction function in fig. 1c of

Bergmann, J., Monecke, T., Kleeberg, R. (2001) Alternative algorithm for the correction of preferred orientation in Rietveld analysis. J. Appl. Cryst. 34, 16-19.

This function has maxima in the direction of the {104} normal vectors. As Leonid wrote, the description of such a rhombohedral symmetry is not possible by any uniaxial function like March-Dollase related to one special hkl. So there is no way around to choose a more complicated model than the March-Dollase.

However, keep in mind that all these models like spherical harmonics have no real physical meaning and are limited in their application. They can effectively describe the PO only for rotational symmetry of your diffraction experiment, only up to a certain (weak) degree of PO, and only if there is a homogeneous PO in your powder sample. So the application of any PO correction models in Rietveld analysis is a potential source of errors and just the second-best solution. The best is always an optimized preparation for a randomly oriented powder mount.

Reinhard