Hi Alan,
in general, I could agree your strict definition, reducing the term "structure refinement" to atomic coordinates as the main goal. Hm, "QPA profile refinement" sounds a bit diffuse. What about "QPA full pattern profile refinement", resp. "QPA whole powder pattern refinement"? Just to include any peak shifting models (e.g. lattice parameters), the Fhkl lists, and to separate from single line profile fitting methods? Will give an impressive abbreviation in any papers... ;-) However, as long as the QPA people are (mis?)using the same software tools as the true crystal structure research community, and as long as such software was generally put into the "Rietveld" box, I don't believe that a more precise terminology for this approach will finally have any chance in practical use. Even if the IUCr would redefine the terminology and would be able to keep it strictly consistent in their own journals: The method was so widely introduced in other fields and industries in the last decades under the "Rietveld" label that there will be no way back to the roots.
Best regards

Reinhard

Zitat von Alan W Hewat <alan.he...@neutronoptics.com>:

Dear Kurt. No, refining just cell parameters doesn't qualify as Rietveld
refinement :-) Certainly Hill/Howard (1987) and Bish/Howard made important
contributions to QPA, but there were earlier papers eg *Werner et al
(1979) * https://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?a18098 that you might also
reference
*"Quantitative analysis of multicomponent powders by full-profile
refinement of Guinier-Hägg X-ray film data"*
So call it QPA Profile Refinement or something similar.

The revolution of Rietveld Refinement was to refine structural parameters
directly to fit the measured profile data. That broke with a long
crystallographic "belief" that it was necessary to first determine
"structure factors" (Bragg intensities), requiring many more parameters,
with their correlations. Attributing all profile refinement to Rietveld, is
not correct, and hides the importance of Rietveld Refinement, which was
hotly contested and not generally accepted by the wider x-ray
crystallographic community for 10+ years
Sakata and Cooper (1979) An analysis of the Rietveld refinement method
https://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?a18236
Without wanting to start another argument, look at the van Laar and Schenk
historical reference list, even if you don't accept their interpretation.
https://journals.iucr.org/a/issues/2018/02/00/ib5058/#BB29

Alan
Dr Alan Hewat, NeutronOptics
Grenoble, FRANCE (from phone)
alan.he...@neutronoptics.com
+33.476984168 VAT:FR79499450856
http://NeutronOptics.com/hewat

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024, 09:34 Reinhard Kleeberg, <