On 12/4/05, Geert Bevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/3/05, Keith Lea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'll write since no one has responded. I don't listen to any podcasts
> so I don't think I'll listen to a rife podcast.
>
> Not listening to a podcast puts you in the minority I think. :)

It took me a while to start listening too, but now I really like to
listen to podcasts regularly.

> > since I like working with audio, I'd like to try to create a RIFE
> > podcast with regular content.
> >
> > Any ideas for this?
>
> A RIFE-flavored podcast might be a little narrow in the scope of
> content. What I mean is, I think you might have trouble coming up
> with things to write about. Unless you start trashing RoR and other
> webapp frameworks and then interview their creators in a
> "Hardball" / pundit show style. That would actually be really
> really cool. Listen to two people argue about why one web framework
> is better than another... Hmmm

That would be cool, a bit like the frameworks smackdown at the
previous JavaOne conference. Setting that up would take quite a bit
more work than just doing your own thing. I do want it to get a RIFE
branding though, for promotion.

> > Do you think it's a good idea?
>
> Sure. Can't hurt, might help. Could be interesting.
>
> > Which topics would you like me to talk about?
>
> Talking in a podcast is even harder than talking in front of people
> in a presentation, so the topics will probably have to be shallow.
> You're not going to be trying to explain all of RIFE in a podcast.
> I know that there are terms and concepts that are hard to vocalize.

Well it's different, but it would let me practice my English
pronunciation skills. At JIA i remember that you ha an idea of doing
a RIFE / tech podcast yourself to practice your presentation skills.
Do you feel like helping out with this one? We could do it together.

Sure, why not. I'd be willing to help out.

> > Any suggestions for regular themes or subjects?
>
> As I said above the "argue with the developers" format would be an
> excellent thing. Maybe a morning coffee notes style / here's what's
> going on type of thing could be interesting as well.

I really like the format of the JavaPosse, where they basically sit
around a (virtual) table and comment on news/interesting things.
Since the mailinglist has been getting a good amount of traffic since
a month or two, I was thinking of talking about the most interesting
subjects that were discussed there. Also, new efforts like the IDE
plugins can benefit from recent status updates. The same goes for
RIFE itself, and where the development is heading. We can also cover
interesting blogs and news-items that are RIFE-related. Another
possibility is to interview users about why they adopted RIFE, what
they like about it and what they find less well done.

However, I don't think that there's enough material for a weekly
podcast, so I'm thinking about a bi-weekly one. It doesn't have to be
very long either, 10-15 minutes could be enough to start out with.

Sounds good. I was thinking you were shooting for a weekly podcast.

> I guess for me the blocker is the fact that you're going to have a
> bit of a time with just RIFE because of two things: A) low
> established userbase and B) complexity of the topic

I agree, explaining complex topics don't work on talk radio.

--
Geert Bevin                       Uwyn bvba
"Use what you need"               Avenue de Scailmont 34

PGP Fingerprint : 4E21 6399 CD9E A384 6619  719A C8F4 D40D 309F D6A9
Public PGP key  : available at servers pgp.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net