I don't understand why they would even ask for an example; it is not that hard adding state to an embedded element. Anyway, the truth is, although components

What they were talking about is not to add external state to an embedded element by for example injecting spring beans or so into it, but by having the elements maintain their own view state without any additional work. That isn't possible in RIFE before version 1.5.

are possible with RIFE, there is still a lot of work to be done to make it easy for developers to create generic components. The ordered processing of embedded elements is a good move towards that, but other features will be necessary. I am sure you are already aware of those.

I'd be interested in hearing about the features you still consider necessary to have generic components. Of course, they will always have to be designed for genericity in that you can only parametrize what has been setup for customization.

is like a cow's opinion - it doesn't matter. :-)

Ow. Wicket has got quite some nice ideas and approaches. I think that RIFE can still steal some things from them (though not much) ;-)

Exactly what I wrote in my last post: Wicket is well thought of and should be kept on the radar.

I think that Wicket's ease of use, configuration reduction and developer friendliness is something to keep our eyes on. Luckily these have always also been a focus of RIFE, though in a different direction. It's nice though to see that Wicket is also borrowing ideas from us though :-)

--
Geert Bevin
Uwyn "Use what you need" - http://uwyn.com