On 2016-01-11 10:52, Annika Wickert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as one of my probes also had problems with the USB drive it would be nice to
> have the procedure on how to recover from this failure described in the FAQ.
>
> Because I just tried my luck and booted without the drive and inserted it
> when the probe was booted. And this worked but it could have avoided a
> ticket to the RIPE team if this would have been described in the FAQ.

Hello,

We've been reluctant to publish the procedure in the FAQ, as the outcome is
most likely that it'll be exercised even if there's no reason to.

However, we're working on a feature to give probe hosts more guidance about
what's going on (and especially what's going wrong) with their probe (*),
and here we will make it clear if the USB replacement is in order.

Regards,
Robert

(*) anything we can detect remotely, such as DNS configuration errors,
firewalls, readonly USBs, flakey power sources, ...