On 15. 12. 22 19:41, Steve Gibbard wrote:
I worry that that would have a “chilling effect” on use of the service.

I hear your concerns, and have a proposal how to quantify this concern:

- First, amend the page to say that all the data are public. (Possibly also switch the flag, but that can be a separate step.)

- Second, observe what has changed in the usage pattern.

- Third, evaluate.

That way we don't need to stay in limbo over hypothetical situations but get real data.

Side note about usefulness of one-off measurement history:
I think it _might_ be is interesting for anyone doing study on any given outage, or even study about optimization practices over time.

For example, the DNS community has service called DNSViz which does just one-off measurements, and yet, researchers come and write papers based on data from DNSViz.

HTH.

--
Petr Špaček