funkstar;520701 Wrote:
> Could also be a limitation of SoX, which is used to transcode ALAC to a
> supported format to stream.

No it's a limitation in alac.exe or faad.exe I think

I'm still on the hunt for the tread where Andy ? confirms this.
This tread touches the subjekt.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35396&highlight=alac+24bit

This mentions alac 0.2.0 and limitations regarding 24 bit

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69498&highlight=alac+0.2.0

With a link to here:

http://craz.net/programs/itunes/alac.html

Now this get interesting alac and faad is in the bin directory <=7.4 in
7.5 we have only faad as transcoder.

In my latest 7.5 I see that faad/sox is choosen as transcoder for Apple
lossles.
So there is a change between 7.4 and 7.5 regarding apple lossles.

Now does faad.exe supports 24 bit apple lossles

Another reason to use flac, al alac support in non iTunes settings rely
on third party reverse engineering ;)
apple have never documented this format, so that begs for the question
how do we now that these reverse engineered converters are really
lossless, how is the testing done ? Logitech have to do bitwise compare
with the digital out for every revision of the software to be sure.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: SB3 (soon to replaced by a Touch :) It is on preorder)
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Receiver (soon to be replaced by my SB3 and the SBR to be
stuffed in a box in the attic )
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this