aubuti;674746 Wrote:
> I agree with your view of the ideal. And I can think of a lot of
> examples of a disc that I think the artist or engineer intends to be
> quieter really is quieter. Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" and Foo
> Fighters "In Your Honor" come to mind, though for me the former case
> isn't different discs but different sides of the vinyl. At least that's
> the way I hear it, but now I'm curious and will check to see if the
> calculated RG confirms the loudness differences, or if I just think I'm
> hearing it because of different song styles and instrumentation.
>
> On the latter point I am not nearly as pessimistic as you, especially
> about artists not even intending to have dynamics. Yes, compression and
> loudness wars have destroyed standards for recorded popular music, but I
> think there are a lot of artists out there who still value dynamics and
> make sure they are preserved in their performances and recordings. Some
> of my faves such as Peter Gabriel and Cowboy Junkies stand out, but
> there are others, too.

Well, I am mostly speculating and thinking about what would be ideal.
Of course, I was mostly thinking in terms of multi-disc sets and a lot
of this goes out the window when we think of how and artist wants his
album relative to some other album.  I think we are plain out of luck
unless we know the exact intent, in which case we'd have to manually
edit RG values to try and fit that intent.

As for my pessimism, I realize there are exceptions. That's why I
didn't say all and mentioned artist that do recognize these issues.
Peter Gabriel was one that had come to mind.  Radiohead, Mark Knopfler,
most Jazz musicians, etc. do keep it in mind.  However, I can find
plenty of music that doesn't.  Perhaps my observations are a limitation
of my own music listening tastes, but then when I think of what is
available in the ITunes store, I can't help but feel that most of that
music has fallen victim of the loudness war.

--
emalvick