My experience has been that LMS will only associate one album cover with
an album (regardless of whether you have different album covers embedded
in each file).  I think this is part of the database structure.

Thus, even if you are successful getting each file into its own folder
but recognized as one album, I think LMS will still treat it as one
album / one album cover.  In my case, I don't even have jpg files
anymore, and LMS usually just pulls the cover from the first or last
track.  I had wanted something similar in the past, thus my experience.
LMS may prioritize the embedded file over a folder file (I don't recall
the real situation), but it won't pull the embedded file from each
track.

A less ideal workaround (which I tried but abandoned) is to create
multiple individual albums and use a playlist to gather them into the
full compilation. You would essentially have to treat each track as a
single.  The obvious disadvantage is that you would have to remember to
use a playlist to listen to the album.  You could theoretically place
all the tracks in one folder and perhaps play the folder to get the
album effect.