On Oct 5, 2011, at 13:50 38, Dan Mills wrote:

> Don't Ripcd and Curl both touch the audio storage directory contents?
> It was that aspect that was sounding alarm bells in my head (plus the
> fact that Ripcd likes to fork, which Windows does horribly badly).

Actually, no.  CURL runs the client end; rdxport.cgi accesses the audio store
RDWaveFile.  Yet another component you'd want to keep on POSIX.  Unless, that
is, you wanted to try it with IIS.  (Be scared.  Be *very* scared).

> As for audio, ASIO is callback based, you surely wouldn't want to be
> doing windows native audio.

In all honesty I don't know much about it -- the closest I've gotten to
programming audio on Windows is PortAudio.

> The BIG showstopper is the filesystem semantics issue.

Agreed.

> Mostly done actually, for all that a whole pile of forward porting is
> needed. IIRC there were only a few files in /lib that still needed doing
> in one of my branches, mostly stuff where the old comboboxes and such
> were depreciated in favour of some hairy MVC stuff.

All still there if you want to have a go.  Be warned though - if my experience
with CallCommander was any indication, getting it to compile cleanly is just
the start.  *Lots* of runtime gotchas.  Nothing very major, but even on
CallCommander there was quite a lot of it that had to be combed out through
regression testing.

> Actually the biggest headache here is probably that Rivendells release
> policy would require a new major number because of the new library
> dependency.

Correct.  I'm not sure it's really a headache, more just a
political/educational item.

> I figure I could do that forward port and have most of it working in a
> month if I went for it full time (Unemployed at the moment so that is
> actually possible).
>
> Could you update my CVS creds with a new SSH key if I sent it to you? I
> may have a look at what it would take to do a QT4 branch from whatever
> CVS head is.

Send it on over.  We'll get you set up.

|                      Threads -- Threat or Menace?                       |
|                                  -- chapter heading from                |
|                                     "The Art of UNIX Programming"       |
|                                     by Eric Raymond                     |