Nothing was decided on, afaik (other than "It's damn difficult!").

However, I don't think there'd be any issue with displaying current
editors using the following (and this is just how I'd do it as a system):

We have a table of edit flags. Each flag has a host ID, user ID, log ID
and a timestamp, plus a version number which is by default zero if no
other flags exist, otherwise the value of the greatest existing flag for
this log ID. There is also an 'open' boolean field.

* Open log inserts new editing flag in a table. Check the flags table
and warn the user if an open flag already exists for this log ID.
* Upon saving, flags table is checked- if any open flags exist for this
log ID, someone else is currently editing this log. Display a warning
message before saving, allow user to abort. If any closed flags exist
with a larger version number than the currently open version, warn
loudly, since this -will- overwrite someone else's changes
* If the user saves, set the version number to the current version
number plus one, set the flag 'open' field to false, and save the flag,
then save the log.

Similar behaviour can encompass all the UI buttons in rdairplay
(add/del/move buttons just go through the open->save motions as above).

The timestamps would let a maintainence job cull all flags older than,
say, a week to avoid a pileup. This system should let people
intelligently notice when collisions might occur, warn people _before_
they do an overwrite of a log edit, but would never block users in the
event of flags not being un-set properly etc. It'd be a massive
improvement on the current system, but not massively complex to
implement (assuming you speak C!).

Anyone see any big glaring holes in this one?

Cheers,
James Harrison