On Mar 7, 2012, at 07:04 41, Rob Landry wrote:

> How can one tell that a log is open?

Set a lock in the DB -- basically, a table that enumerates which logs are open
where and by whom.

> What happens if someone has a log open when rdlogedit (or his or her
> computer) crashes?

Any time a system wants to open a log that appears in the lock table, it asks
the system holding the lock if that lock is still valid.  If the reply
indicates that it's not (or we get no reply at all), then conclude that the
lock is stale and clear it, replacing it with our own.

This is where the posited 'inter-host communication infrastructure' comes in.

| Do not try to think outside of the box.  That's impossible.  Instead,   |
| realise the truth. There is no box.                                     |
|                               --Quoted by "larsmjoh" on GrokLaw.net     |