Hi,

I've toyed with VNC extensively around the offices I look after
(unrelated to Rivendell).  Combined with ssh and VPNs it certainly has
its place however for critical PCs and Servers you really need full
remote control, I'm talking about the remote management cards commonly
built into rack servers.

They aren't especially cheap but being able to "press the power switch"
and then watch the whole BIOS to OS process is worth its weight in gold
after the first 3am call out (especially when its our India office with
a problem as a combined 15 hour ish flight + road trip isn't great).

Regards,

Wayne