Couple of things can affect delay. Sound cards is one thing - the
jitter buffer in OpenOB is the other. By default this is 150ms,
suitable for decent Internet links, and is tweaked with the -j option
on the transmitter. -j 5 should be fine on fast ethernet for 5ms
latency internal to OpenOB. There's nowhere else inside OpenOB itself
that can add latency.

Sound cards will almost certainly make up the rest of the latency, and
that's down to system config like using a low-latency kernel and small
period sizes. See http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc
and http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/FramesPeriods for more
info there - basically, tweak period_size and periods. You may find
you need a non-onboard sound card, but some onboard drivers can be
fine. There's loads of info out there for low-latency Linux operation
and I should really write up some of it into the OpenOB docs or a
supporting site, and I will once I get some spare time.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
James Harrison