Another idea you can do to prevent this is to not upgrade the kernel, but update everything else that needs updating... if it ain't broke on your hardware, don't fix it.
totally agreed, and once a system is in production, it gets updates turned off. should have paid more attention to what I was updating, but I'm still relatively new to 'Nix so it's a good lesson in the ramifications of a kernel update.....

Kernel modules are built using the current working kernel's source tree, so it's by default installed to the current kernel version kernel directory (i.e. /lib/modules/`uname -r`)
Greek to me...but I'll look into it. any advice would be apreciated though. It's currently working by booting into the previous kernel though, so no panic.

Thanks all,

Nathaniel C. Steele
Assistant Chief Engineer/Technical Director
WTRM-FM / TheCrossFM