----- Original Message -----
> From: "Cowboy" <c...@cwf1.com>

> So they ( sorta ) say, but FSF claims copyright on anything licensed
> GPL.
> I have a bit of a problem with that meself, regardless of their
> implied motivation.

Which is because, as many do, you misunderstand it. :-)

The GNU project requires copyright assignment to FSF *on projects which
are under its umbrella*.  Merely applying the GPL to your code does not
by any means place it's ownership under control of the FSF... as I think
Fred can testify; Rivendell itself is GPL, is it not?

> I prefer to share my stuff with whomever I choose, without
> the restrictions of GPL.

And the GPL does not prohibit that.

What the GPL does is *keep commercial actors from stealing your code
(ie: work) and stuffing inside their closed commercial product.

If you're not concerned about that, by all means release code under BSD;
the only GPL advocates who disdain that are RMS himself and... nobody;
nobody else disdains that. :-)

> > It's not at all about more or less "free".
>
> It is absolutely all about free, or not free.
> GPL takes away your rights, by claiming copyright themselves,
> then grants you back a limited subset of the rights you surrender.

Nope.  Go re-read it.

Cheers,
-- jra
--