On 6/2/14, 17:22 27, Peter van Embden wrote:
In the meantime: is there a way to tell RDImport to just slow down while
importing, so it doesn't use all the bandwith?

You can try nice(1), but I wouldn't hold my breath. This is really taking kvm into a problem domain that it was never designed to address. Guest OS scheduling policies stop at the hypervisor; the underlying virt host knows nothing whatever about them!

And the system manager wonders why RDImport needs a >3 GB file to import
a 650 MB file.

Because it utilizes 32 bit floating point format. It's a temp file and disc space is cheap; this way we guarantee that we're not going to truncate sample resolution no matter what combination of input / output formats are in question.

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |            Chief Developer               |
|                           |            Paravel Systems               |
|       A room without books is like a body without a soul.            |
|                                      -- Cicero                       |