IF I follow you, what you seem to be missing, is that each cart/song in
Rivendell NEEDS a cart number...

It sounds like you want to make different groups for different genres of
music, and/or using one very large group, with different scheduler codes

Irregardless, you will need a cart number, and it's better if you let
the system assign them.

One advantage of using different groups is that depending on how you set
you access, different shows can only access their specific music, and
depending on your show clocks, it can be easier to auto schedule. It's
also a little bit more friendly to jocks who don't know all of the
specific songs.