Thanks for the responses.  And I forgot to mention I'm running the VM on
Windows 7 Pro.

If it turns out I need the guest add-ons, I'll need to re-install the
system and ensure I have the build environment included, 'cause I can't
download 'em after the install.

As a lark I tried installing the beta appliance DVD, which installs CentOS
7, and there the network connection is working without any modifications
(it's downloading several hundred pieces of maintenance right now) . So
it's apparently something in the CentOS 6 system or the way the appliance
DVD installs it.  Will dig into it later.

We're considering the VM as an intake box and a secondary log editing
workstation. I'm hoping audio latency won't be a problem for those uses.
And for my own use, a way to play with macros, logs, etc, without an impact
on the production systems.

++hobbitt

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Cowboy <c...@cwf1.com> wrote:

> On Monday 19 January 2015 02:04:47 pm Mike Carroll wrote:
> > The search hits I found all said to ensure various VirtualBox network
> > setting are "just so", and I've done that without success. Thanks for any
> > thoughts.
>
>  Yeah, I have.
>  I don't remember which what was which, but I do remember that the
>  VirtualBox defaults were NOT the ones that worked.
>  It took some experimenting, but it did work.
>  I found that other reasons precluded it being usable *for me* in the
>  context I was seeking, so I blew it away.
>  ( consistent real time audio delivery being but one )
>
>  Fortunately, you can shut down VB, change the network card spec,
>  and re-start without reinstalling the guest until you find the
>  magic combination.
>
> --
> Cowboy
>
> http://cowboy.cwf1.com
>
> Before Xerox, five carbons were the maximum extension of anybody's
> ego.

druidlabs.wordpress.com
flickr.com/photos/druidlabs/sets