Hello,

On 2015-01-19 20:04, Mike Carroll wrote:
ensure various VirtualBox network setting are "just so", and I've done
that without success. Thanks for any thoughts.

I think the good setting is "bridged networking".
(as from an oracle blog: "Bridged Networking is used when you want your vm to be a full network citizen, i.e. to be an equal to your host machine on the network.")

My VMs are on XenServer now but i rememeber testing the use of Rivendell in VMs with virtualbox.
The audio hosts are still hardware ones, because of latency.