On 01/19/2015 01:49 PM, Robert wrote:
There is no difference between a DAW and a straight desk with mixers turntables tapedecks and some FX in the rack.
There is a thread on gearslutz.com about this..... a very long thread (215 pages at the moment). See:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=463010

I personally use Harrison Mixbus on Linux for all of my production DAW needs, with any mastering that might need doing after the top-of-the-line Harrison DSP handled in Mac OS X by Audiofile Engineering's Triumph and iZotope's Ozone. These days I've found that the Harrison plugin bundles in Mixbus have drastically reduced my need for Ozone, and so the only post-mix processing I do is exporting to mp3 or whatever using either lame from the command line or Audacity if I want to do a quick audition of what Mixbus generated.

Mixbus is a fantastic DAW; the mixer acts just like an analog desk (and Harrison desks are seriously high-end), and if you have a supported control surface you can mix as if you were at an analog desk. I'm using CentOS 7, and so far for straight mixdown production with Mixbus 2.5 I haven't had any issues at all, with the minor exception of getting qjackctl to build. I need to pull out the Tascam US224 or US428 I have and see if low-latency overdubs and punch-ins still work well. No, Mixbus is not fully open-source; the DSP plugin (which uses LADSPA) is closed source, but the DAW is based on Ardour 2.x and is fully open source. It's well worth the price for serious production, though.