----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rob Landry" <41001...@interpring.com>

> On Wed, 6 May 2015, Joey Alcala wrote:
>
> > I want to run rivendell on the newest/ most modern kernel (and
> > desktop environment) possible
>
> I wouldn't do that. I would run it in an environment where it is known to
> work reliably and where any issues are likely to have already been found
> and resolved. Otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for many hours of
> extra work finding solutions to weird compile problems, etc.

I'd like to lay one extra layer of foundation under Rob's excellent advice.

There are two reasons why you might want to do things the way Joey initially
suggests here, and one of them is harder to work around than the other.

One is that a more up to date kernel/os is more secure against attacks.

That's true, as far as it goes, but it doesn't go far enough.  Your on-air
automation computer is the core of your "Air Network".  It ought to be next
to impossible to get to that Air Network, not only from your upstream
Internet connection, but from other internal networks as well.  That LAN
should be protected by its own physically separate firewall, whose security
policy should be DENY ALL, with holes poked in it only in places you absolutely
know you need them, and all by IP address -- unless you're *very* careful
about your DNS hygiene.  (If you don't know what that means, you're not
knowledgeable enough to be "very careful". :-)

Not even your in-house computers should be able to get to it, I should
reiterate, except in a *very* controlled fashion.

This is part of the power vs control tradeoff you have to make if you
decide to have an IT based broadcast infrastructure; if you don't have
someone to set it up who knows the IT side as well as the broadcast side,
you are living on borrowed time.

===

The other side is one of support: If you don't keep components up to
date, then it can become harder and harder to get support for them.

This one's a little harder to rebut, except for one thing:

It's an appliance.  You shouldn't be doing *anything* on your Rivendell
machine except automation playback.  Boxes are cheap; Linux is free; if
you need to do other stuff, set up another box and do it there.

This is *why* it's an appliance: because that keeps its complexity down
far enough that the people who assembled it can reasonably do all the
support you need on it.

Cheers,
-- jra
--