On May 10, 2015, at 14:14 40, Jay Ashworth <j...@baylink.com> wrote:

> One is that a more up to date kernel/os is more secure against attacks.

FWIW, RedHat (and hence CentOS) are *very* proactive about feeding security
fixes (including back ported kernel fixes) into the update pipeline.  That
being the case, you can regard any Broadcast Appliance setup (CentOS 5 or 6) as
being every bit as ‘secure against attacks’ as any brand new setup (assuming,
of course, that you actually *install* the updates as they come down).

> This is *why* it's an appliance: because that keeps its complexity down
> far enough that the people who assembled it can reasonably do all the
> support you need on it.

Preach it, Bro!  :)

Bottom line: while the system is indeed there to entertain, it’s not there to
entertain *you* (or the operator), but rather your *audience*.  You want the
base Linux environment (desktop, utilities, etc) to be as stodgy and boring as
possible, ‘cause that means you’ve got a better chance that it will also be
*stable*.  Not for you are spinning 3D cubes on the desktop!

| This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  Even if it erases  |
| your hard drive, too bad.  Although we did fix that bug from the     |
| last release.                                                        |
|                            -- README from the "DJGPP" package        |