From: Jim Stewart
Sent: Monday, March 7, 2016 5:00 PM
To: 'rivendell-dev@lists.rivendellaudio.org'
<rivendell-dev@lists.rivendellaudio.org>
Subject: Rivendell daemons

> Now neither machine will bring up rivendell.
> It says rivendell daemons failed to start. I tried sudo service
> rivendell start  and  sudo /etc/init.d/rivendell start on both
> machines. Nothing. I have confirmed /var/rivendell/run is on the
> server machine. There is a file in there named caed.pid. I have scoured the
> forums to find an answer to no avail.

I don't know if you dealt with this or not, but realize that newer versions of
Debian (and Ubuntu I'm guessing, I can check my "Trusty Tahr" machine tonight
at home) puts the /var/run directory on a /dev/shm shared memory mount (like a
ramdisk) that goes away at each reboot.  I had to follow the instructions given
by others in this thread to create the /var/run/rivendell directory and set
permissions in a small shell script that I run before attempting to start the
Rivendell daemons.  Is it possible that the caed daemon creates this when it
doesn't exist but ripcd, which needs to run first, does not?