this is slightly off list but it is an issue that will affect appliance operators..

A [recent] update has changed the default location for  asound.state
from    /etc/asound.state
to        /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

and to confuse the issue the settings are not kept on reboot.

'alsactl restore' gets everything back which is easy enough to plumb in to the startup routine

but looking around it seems something may have changed in the pulse/alsa startup.

We were caught rebooting a server after doing something else only to find there was no sound because all the volumes were reset to 0!

Symptom was quickly fixed but someone may be more familiar with what has changed.

I have a test machine which has been installed from the latest appliance and has had all the updates applied which does exactly the same thing.

Not sure if this is Alsa Centos or Rivendell.

regards

Robert Jeffares

-- *The Wireless Station*
64 Warner Park Avenue