I hesistate to say anything since I am very far from being a Rivrndell
expert.  I have had the same issue before.  I found that mysql was not
running correctly.  One time I had changed the ip address and there was a
mysql file I had to delete.  Second time, the Rivendell database was
corrupt and I had to reinstall a good backup.  Now I will go back to just
reading and learning.

Frank White

On Thursday, June 23, 2016, Gerard <gerard.bur...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 17:45:46 +0100
> "Gerard" <gerard.bur...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I too have the same problems with daemons not starting after upgrade I
>> was determined that I would get my head round lunix and Rivendell this
>> time after several attempts and giving up
>

>  Depending on the OS and version...
>  First try
>  service rivendell restart
>  but it could be
>  service restart rivendell
>
> --
> Cowboy
> __________
> Thanks cowboy that gives me something to go on below is the result off
starting and stopping anyone able to point me in the next direction

>  why dose it not say anymore than failed when I try to restart in root
(just wondering )

> On a side note it would be very usefull for us newbies if some one could
write a common list of commands like service Rivendell restart / stop and
yum update and yum update Rivendell things for common problems

> [rd@rdhost ~]$ service rivendell restart
> rdcleandirs: this program requires root permissions
> /etc/init.d/rivendell: line 65: /var/run/rivendell/jackd.pid: Permission
denied
> rdcatchd: aborting - multiple instances not allowedStarting Rivendell
system daemons
 [FAILED]
> [rd@rdhost ~]$ su
> Password:
> [root@rdhost rd]# service rivendell stop
> Stopping Rivendell system daemons                          [  OK  ]
> [root@rdhost rd]# service rivendell restart
> Starting Rivendell system daemons                          [FAILED]
> [root@rdhost rd]#

Frank White
Frank White Technology