Hi,

I've done this with James Harrison's OpenOB before.  OpenOB is
essentially a set of scripts to start a gstreamer pipe to a remote site,
but makes things easy.  It'll work with JackAudio, so just pipe the
Rivendell output to the OpenOB input with Jack.  OpenOB can be tweaked
to have extremely low latency if you have a decent  link.

https://jamesharrison.github.io/openob/

You will need a "decoder" computer at the receiving end.  It could be
done with something like a PI.  Onboard sound on the PI is poor, but
I've read that some folks have managed to get decent quality audio out
of the HDMI port on the PI using an HDMI --> Audio converter/extractor
box.  Otherwise there's the add-on audio cards for the PI that have been
reported to work well.

If you want something more robust then a PI (I'm still not sure I'd
trust a PI as a main component in something mission critical such as the
primary airchain) you could use a PC.  This would open up additional
audio card options too.

Doing this also makes it easy to send additional data such as RDS
information, etc.

I know there are codecs (Tieline, Comrex) that support OPUS, I admit
that I've never tried one of these with an OpenOB stream.  Not sure if
it would work.

Lorne Tyndale