I would agree with the Linux software RAID-1 mirror.  This is what I do with a
number of servers that I've set up (not just Rivendell).  One of my rules for
mirrored systems (and for that matter offline archives), is to use drives from
different manufacturers.  I know that some people don't like this, however I
work on the basis that is there is an issue with a batch of drives, then you
are not going to get 2 to fail at about the same time.  You have 3 companies to
make your choice from - Seagate, Toshiba and WD, and all of these will be from
totally different factories so you shouldn't come unstuck.

Andy

---- On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 21:36:35 +0000 Cowboy <c...@cwf1.com> wrote ----

 Having said that, I'm a big fan of Linux software RAID-1 mirrors,

 and an "on the shelf" backup.

 Then, let 'em go until one fails. When that happens, either replace

 the failed drive with one in-kind, and let the array rebuild, or create

 another RAID-1 with a missing drive, and copy from the failed old

 failed array onto the new "failed" array. When that finishes, add in the

 missing drive to the new array, and let that array rebuild. This is mostly

 a technique for upgrading to a larger size in-place without down-time.

 If you have the drive slots, create the new array complete and copy to

 it in one step.

 Having said all that, when one of the drives does fail, expect the other

 half of that mirror, assuming same manufacturer, type, and age of drive,

 to fail within three weeks of the first.

 Usually, you'll have a day to get the data copied off of it before it goes,

 but remember I did mention that shelf backup !

 My shelf backup is usually an rsync update weekly or so.

--

Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

Manual, n.:

    A unit of documentation. There are always three or more on a

given item. One is on the shelf; someone has the others. The

information you need is in the others.

        -- Ray Simard