Isn't this what the Server/Client model is all about?

In our deployment, our main studio is located in another town from the owner
and myself.  There's a "server" at the main studio (which is also the active
RDAirPlay host), and workstations at both my location and the owners location.
All of our networks (two home locations, the main studio, and translator
sites), are linked together with VPNs across the internet.

The good:

We don't have to drive 30 miles to the main studio to make schedule changes or
add/remove content from the Rivendell system.

The bad:

It's painfully slow doing anything in Rivendell that's not on a local LAN.

There are no issues with all of the Rivendell systems running at the same time
provided you don't work on the same thing from two different locations.  Even
if you do though, the last change would win.  With the remote workstations,
we're able to maintain content, create and edit clocks/logs, pull
reports...Pretty much everything you can do locally with Rivendell, it's just
slower.  The speed penalty is due to network latency.  Two things we use to
make this easier for us: a NAS (with NFS mounts for the Rivendell Server), and
an IP KVM (from Avocent) that gives us a remote console to the Rivendell box
for operating it as if we were right there in the studio.

The "glue" that makes this all happen is the VPN.  There are volumes written on
VPNs, network security, remote access technologies and they go far beyond the
scope of Rivendell itself.  I would not recommend running a VPN directly on the
Rivendell host and instead build up a VPN on your network router, or use a VPN
service to tie your networks together.  Keep in mind your security requirements
and trust between your partners network and your own (in a site-to-site VPN,
any computer on either side of the VPN has access to all network devices on all
VPN end-points).

James