This is probably going off at a slight tangent but....

I was looking at Ubiquiti EdgeRouters over the weekend.  They might be an
interesting option for getting things up and running for VPN work.  It is often
said that you should keep your office network and music network separate.
However, if you are trying to access the Rivendell machines remotely, you need
to have internet access to them, even if it is through a VPN.  The Edgerouters
(even the cheapest model the lite) have multiple subnets and routing on them.
The lite comes with 3 ports - eth0 for the WAN, eth1 for LAN 192.168.101.x and
eth2 for LAN 192.168.102.x.  Now I don't know what routing it does between
ports eth1 and eth2 but it does seem to me that you could use this to allow
both of the station networks to access the internet via this router.  It also
has the ability to run a VPN as well so you should be able to access the Music
network from the outside world.  How well they run and how they would perform
in this context is not something that I would know.  However I would be
interested if anyone has some input.

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/33111-ubiquiti-edgerouter-lite-revisited

Of course, one of the things with getting a VPN up and running is that you
could use this for storing a remote off site backup with a NAS drive.  That's
something for another discussion.

Andy

---- On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 10:06:45 +0000 James Greenlee
<ja...@madsonics.com> wrote ----

Isn't this what the Server/Client model is all about?

In our deployment, our main studio is located in another town from the owner
and myself. There's a "server" at the main studio (which is also the active
RDAirPlay host), and workstations at both my location and the owners location.
All of our networks (two home locations, the main studio, and translator
sites), are linked together with VPNs across the internet.

The good:

We don't have to drive 30 miles to the main studio to make schedule changes or
add/remove content from the Rivendell system.

The bad:

It's painfully slow doing anything in Rivendell that's not on a local LAN.

There are no issues with all of the Rivendell systems running at the same time
provided you don't work on the same thing from two different locations. Even if
you do though, the last change would win. With the remote workstations, we're
able to maintain content, create and edit clocks/logs, pull reports...Pretty
much everything you can do locally with Rivendell, it's just slower. The speed
penalty is due to network latency. Two things we use to make this easier for
us: a NAS (with NFS mounts for the Rivendell Server), and an IP KVM (from
Avocent) that gives us a remote console to the Rivendell box for operating it
as if we were right there in the studio.

The "glue" that makes this all happen is the VPN. There are volumes written on
VPNs, network security, remote access technologies and they go far beyond the
scope of Rivendell itself. I would not recommend running a VPN directly on the
Rivendell host and instead build up a VPN on your network router, or use a VPN
service to tie your networks together. Keep in mind your security requirements
and trust between your partners network and your own (in a site-to-site VPN,
any computer on either side of the VPN has access to all network devices on all
VPN end-points).

James