Well, the other side of the coin is that if you have two copies of the metadata, one in a MySQL database and the other in the file headers, then you need some mechanism to keep them synchronized. Otherwise you become the proverbial man with two watches who can never be sure what time it is.

A client of mine used to use AudioVault. I spent lots of hours examining AV .wav files to see how the metadata was stored, and was surprised to discover that each file stored its metadata twice: in an AV10 chunk, and again in a CART chunk; Lord only knows why. I was left to guess which one was supposed to be authoritative.

AudioVault struck me as a thinly disguised Pandora's box of chaos and contradictions. There were layers on top of layers, each one seemingly written by people who knew nothing about the others. Date and time formats varied from file to file; I found one in which the durations of audio files were stored as floating point numbers representing fractions of a day.

And underlying it all, like Satan in the pit of Dante's Inferno, was Windows, an operating system written for secretaries and accountants. AVSAT would crash from time to time during Boston Celtics games when it tried to record news headlines into a file that AVAIR had cued up to play at the next break. The Celtics would call for the break, AVAIR would play it, and then there'd be silence... Rivendell would have handled it all seamlessly.

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",