On Nov 6, 2018, at 11:50, Rob Landry <41001...@interpring.com> wrote:

> Of course, one consequence of this approach is that if you lose the MySQL
> database, the audio files will be more or less useless.

Yup. Better have a good backup plan in place!

> If each audio file had headers carrying copies of the metadata, it would be
> possible to reconstruct the database fromt hem in the event of a disaster.

And if you lose the audio files, you’re done also. Ditto on the backup plan.

I don’t see how losing the MySQL DB is perceived as being somehow ‘riskier’
than losing the audio data. *Both* are well-understood risks, which can be
mitigated by a good backup scheme.