On Nov 6, 2018, at 15:42, Fred Gleason <fr...@paravelsystems.com> wrote:
> …
> They had an auxiliary program called the ‘SoundHound’ (derisively referred to
> as the ‘SoundPig’ by one of my co-workers) that would continually scan the
> set of audio files on the system, building and updating a searchable database
> of the metadata.

That’s not the only name it was known by… but not all are fit to print. ;-)

I do *not* miss that particular automation system - at all.  As noted, it would
frequently crash and caused no small amount of consternation and headache.
With six or seven channels of audio running at our facility, it was ridiculous
how many times per day we had to go restart that metadata scraper utility on
multiple machines.

In contrast, dumping the entire mySQL database takes only a few moments
(completely in the background, even on a running system) and the resulting file
can be placed anywhere without effort (indeed; it can be written directly to a
mapped share or RAID system, etc.) so there’s no excuse for not having a backup
of the database.

--
Sherrod Munday
<smun...@ieee.org>