I have one lingering question on the VNC aspect with virtual displays:

I found I had to create a separate linux user to get this to work.  Using the 'rd' account to create a virtual display for vnc caused me issues with autostart applications since user 'rd' automatically logs in locally on boot.

The question:  Do I need to do anything permissions wise to this new Linux user (such as add them to a specific group) to remotely use the log tools/clock/events/etc?  I have tried a few things, and so far all seem to work, I just don't want any "gotchas" when I go live.

Thanks,

-Alan