Stan,

The more options or criteria required to make a selection from the library the longer it will take.

If you have 2000 songs it will be faster then if you have 20,000

2 hours for a days log is 'typical' on a computer with a basic amount of ram and an early 64 bit processor.

You can make it go faster by using lots of RAM >8GB [and fast ram] and the latest Intel processor.

We cut creation time by about 1/4 with a high spec machine. It cost! Most of our machines are ex lease

In the normal scheme of things we run log creation 8 days in advance scheduled to commence at 1am and if it takes the computer a couple of hours I don't care as I am fast asleep!

There is a system promoted by it's creator as 'faster than Rivendell' to create a log which it is, because it does not use MySQL or any other database.

Personally I would rather have all the features  MySQL enables.