Mike,

I got something working...May be giving up too much security to get it
though...

2 files in /etc/sudoers.d/

======

test1
rd ALL=(ALL) ALL
rivendell ALL=(ALL) ALL

======

test2
rivendell ALL=NOPASSWD: /home/rd/vkbdko.sh
rivendell ALL=NOPASSWD: /home/rd/vkbd.sh
rivendell ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/bash
rd ALL=NOPASSWD: /home/rd/vkbdko.sh
rd ALL=NOPASSWD: /home/rd/vkbd.sh

I think I can get rid of some of those lines in the last file but that will
be for another day.

======

cat /home/rd/vkbdko.sh
#!/bin/bash
# virtual keyboard kickoff
# vkbdko.sh

echo `/bin/whoami` > /tmp/openkbko

sudo -i -u rd /home/rd/vkbd.sh

#/usr/bin/lxqt-sudo /home/rd/vkbd.sh

======

cat /home/rd/vkbd.sh
#!/bin/bash
# virtual keyboard
# vkbd.sh

echo `/bin/whoami` > /tmp/openkb

echo "beginning..." >> /tmp/openkb

export DISPLAY=:0.0
/usr/bin/xvkbd -always-on-top -no-keypad -no-repeat -no-jump-pointer
-geometry 630x185+190+000 -minizable

echo "ending..." >> /tmp/openkb

======