I could be wrong, but I seem to remember asking an almost similar question when I first started with Rivendell.

It is my understanding that you do not need ASI cards to play either mp3 or mp3 cards.  You might have needed them 'back in the day', but these days I believe ASI cards only gets you the following features:

Time Scaled Audio.
Hardware MPEG encode/decode.

Thats about it.  Hardware encode/decode shouldn't be an issue-todays processors are more than capable of doing the job in realtime with plenty of 'horsepower' left to spare.  Now it *might* be the hardware encode/decoding produces better quality results, I'm not sure though.  I know in the video side of things hardware decoding/encoding>software.  May not apply to audio though???

-Alan