On Thu, 27 Feb 2020, Cowboy wrote:

Just means you'll ( we'll ) have to compile ourselves either the driver,
if source is available, or the kernel.

When WNTK got hit by lightning last August, we lost two ASI sound cards of a model that had been discontinued. The new cards were not recognized by the old driver, and the new driver would not compile under CentOS 6. We learned after calling ASI that it required a newer kernel.

Because we had to get back on the air, we pressed into service a couple of USB sound adapters and a matchbox I had built for another station.

There were a number of things about the Rivendell machines at WNTK we didn't like; they predated our association with the station, and we wanted the Rivendell systems there to conform to the standards we follow elsewhere. So, we decided to build two new boxes using the CentOS 7 installer. The CentOS 7 boxes have been reliable, and I haven't built any but CentOS 7 systems recently. As long as I don't have to use Gnome 3, I can tolerate CentOS 7.

I understand that CentOS 8 is out, but have never played with it.

Rob

--
Сквозь грозы сияло нам солнце свободы
И Linus великий нам путь озарил;