I've really no problem to use Centos. It is my fav. system für my mail and fileserver.. But what if your system has a brandnew chipset, not supported hardware like my touchscreens, or some trouble with a virt. environment.(GUI freeze sometimes.) I don't need to use the latest ubuntu /fedora spin... Only debian stable. And its running very well except the slow database access in some situations... Thats all.

Am 30.03.2020 13:05, schrieb Joe Panarello:
Well Put Rob. Rivendell was meant to be an appliance with a specific
purpose running on CENTOS a pro OS. CENTOS is free so what is the
issue? As such, Rivendell is one of the most reliable and powerful
automation systems on the planet. Why mess with the best. Most of the
high priced competitors who are Windows based will NOT run on a
Windows Server OS. So my suggestion would be that your time could be
better spent in adding new features to Rivendell rather than chasing
after mirages.

 Joe Panarello
 WFIT 89.5 FM

-----Original Message-----
From: rivendell-dev-boun...@lists.rivendellaudio.org
[mailto:rivendell-dev-boun...@lists.rivendellaudio.org] On Behalf Of
Rob Landry
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2020 11:01 PM
To: Ryan Kin
Cc: rivendell-dev
Subject: Re: [RDD] Rivendell v3.3.0

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020, Ryan Kin wrote:

However, Rivendell was built and made for CentOS... Even though it's
open source so you can modify it then put it onto Ubuntu

That's it in a nutshell. The software is developed to run under
CentOS, is not being tested under any other Linux distribution, and it
took an immense amount of time and effort on my part to make it run
under Debian 10. Even so, sometimes it will compile and sometimes it
won't. I can unstall Rivendell, blow out rivendell-3.3.0, gunzip the
.tar.gz file to make a virgin rivendell-3.3.0, and recompile the same
source code... and it's even money whether or not it will compile.

That's not something I can tolerate when I have radio stations
clamoring for my attention all day. I had a station call me a week
ago; they are owned by a local university which was sending all its
students home due to the pandemic, and the faculty adviser said they
were going off the air, as they didn't have an automation system. Now,
I had an old Debian 6 Rivendell 2.11.0 system I had built several
years ago, and offered to run it for them along with a Comrex Access I
had bought for another project but had not yet deployed. I kept them
on the air when they otherwise would have had to go off, and if I had
had to depend on my new Debian system they would have been off for ten
days, because that's how long it took me to get it working.

Debian 10 is not Debian 6; QT3 will not build under Debian 10, so the
only Rivendell choice available is V3. V3 is far more complicated than
V2, has a lot more dependencies -- what is it with all this Python
stuff? -- and clearly wants to run under CentOS. Yes, if I invest
enough time and effort, I can make it run under Debian... but why
bother?

Rob

--
Сквозь грозы сияло нам солнце свободы
И Linus великий нам путь озарил;

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020, 3:59 AM Schwoon, newsletter
<newslet...@schwoon.info>
wrote:
      Am 28.03.2020 10:47, schrieb le père Léon:
      > Le 22/03/2020 à 14:58, Rob Landry a écrit :
      >> Well, finally got it to work. I blew out rivendell-3.3.0,
      re-gunzipped
      >> rivendell-3.3.0.tar.gz, then edited the source code manually,
      rather
      >> than applying the patch.
      >
      > The "default ''" appeared as "default " in the wiki. Modified.
      >
      >> Now rdadmin is complaining that the Rivendell daemons aren't
      running;
      >> evidently in this new era of v3 it doesn't automatically
      start them as
      >> it used to in v2. But that's no big deal.
      >
      > As noticed in the wiki, you can use :
      >  - to start the daemons :
      > $ systemctl start rivendell
      >  - to fix it at boot time :
      > $ systemctl enable rivendell
      >
      >> Debian is probably not going to be a viable option for
      Rivendell going
      >> forward, I think.
      >
      > Could you explain the reason why you think so ?

      Thats a good question.!!

      After running rivendell on centos for about one year, i switched
      back to
      debian/ubuntu. Why.?
      The newer and more software. And i think, Centos is a very good
      server
      distri, but not for desktops, specifically not for multimedia
      desktops.
      Too dificult to use special codecs like AAC HE, no ootb export
      to mp3 in
      audacity...

      On my debian 10 is only one problem left. The slow database
      access. In
      rdlibrary when showing all, not only the 1st 100 carts, in
      rdlogedit
      when loading a 24h log and moving carts up and down with the
      arrows.!

      Maybe there is a way to fix.??

      --
      Have a nice sunday!